Being in the state of Ihram is required to perform Umrah or Hajj. The Ihram and intention for Ihram should be done and put on before crossing the Miqat. The rules of Ihram begin at the Miqat.
Steps of Ihram:
- Perform Ghusl (This is Mustahab or Desirable)
- Praying Two Rakkat (This is Mustahab or Desirable)
- Putting on Perfume for Men (This is Mustahab or Desirable)
- You can put perfume on your Ihram clothing BEFORE entering the state of Ihram.
- Women can color but not scent the Ihram and men cannot color, but may scent the Ihram.
- Men will then change into two fabrics, the Ridaa and the Izaar. Women may wear their normal modest hijab clothing.
- For men these fabrics must be unstitched and white.
- Women are allowed and should to cover their face using the cloth of their khimar/hijab.
Forbidden Things in Ihram
- Hats are not allowed for men, as their heads should be visible/bare.
- You are not allowed to put on perfume while in Ihram.
- Deodorant only applies if it has a scent, if it doesn't like powder then its fine.
- This also includes little scented cleaning napkins and soap that is scented because if the scent stays on your body it can be a problem.
- A man should not wear shoes that cover the ankles, as their ankles must be exposed.
- No socks unless there is a necessity.
- Women cannot wear a fixed cloth as a niqab and cannot wear gloves
- Hair cannot be shaved and trimming nails cannot be done in the state of Ihram.
- Intercourse or things that lead to it.
- You cannot get married in Ihram.
- You cannot hunt unless your in danger (This includes cutting trees)
- If someone brings meat from a already slaughtered animal you can eat it in the state of Ihram.
Allowed Things in Ihram
- You can wear backpacks, watches, and belts if they are necessary.
- Wearing Deodorant with no Scent
- You can take a bath, wash your hair and brush your hair.
- Do not brush your hair to the point of ripping your hair out.
Conditions that make Hajj obligatory upon a Muslim
- Has to be a Muslim
- Has to be Sane and of Sound Mind
- Has to be an Adult
- Has to be free (Hajj is not obligatory upon a slave)
- Is financially and physically able to do so.
Etiquettes of Hajj
- All expenses of Hajj should be arranged from Halal money.
- Intention of Hajj should be solely to perform Hajj, and not with the goal of trade or business.
- During the entire journey and process of Hajj, don't talk harshly or get into quarrels. Speak gently and keep yourself away from indecent talks and conversation about the matters of dunya (this world). This time should be utilized for recitation of the Quran and rememberance of Allah.
The steps of Hajj (Which are also part of its requirements).